Henry’s Chronicle of Livonia (Latin: Heinrici Cronicon Lyvoniae) first mentions the lands of Trikāta in 1208. It follows from the chronicle that Trikāta was closely related to the frequently mentioned Beverīna Castle, hence the hypothesis of Trikāta castle mound underneath the stone castle as the alleged location of Beverīna Castle.
The castle mound sits in the centre of Trikāta, on a high bank projection between Trikāta Lake in the east and the River Abuls in the south and southeast. The top of the castle mound is slightly rounded, the average diameter is about 100 m. The castle mound raises approximately 30 metres above the passing stream of the Abuls and the adjacent lake surface level. The slopes are rather steep, overgrown with trees and shrubs.
Arndt’s Chronicle dates the construction of Trikāta Castle with 1284, with the time of the Order’s Master Wilhelm von Schauerburg, while the Rhymed Chronicle bears no mention of Trikāta at that time.
At the west side of the castle mound, on the right bank of the Abuls there is a very steep slope both along the castle itself and the bailey, and the situation is the same in the east, at Lake Trikāta. In the south the castle is protected by a branch stream from Lake Trikāta into the Abuls. Therefore, in the case of a siege chances to break into the castle from these three sides were rather slim. In the north the castle mound is linked to the raised earthwork, hence the bailey built on this side, protected by the outer moat in front of it. Today, the bottom of the moat works as a road. At the northeast side, behind the external castle moat, in front of the likely bailey gate one can notice an almost straight recess. After about 350 m it meets a deep hollow, which continues down in the direction of Lake Trikāta, where it fades and can no longer be traced. One side of the castle and the internal moat most certainly could be filled with water so as to (in the event of a siege) protect the castle walls and at the same time supply drinking water from the springs up in the north.
It should be mentioned that although the tower and the castle itself was made of boulders, brick was also used, and pieces of flat roof tiles also have been traced in the walls.
Trikāta Castle was reigned by Germans (1224-1561), Poles (1561-1577 and 1582-1600), Russians (1577-1582), Swedes (1600-1702). In 1702, during the Great Northern War, Russians burned the castle down and it was never restored afterwards.
A small town emerged near the castle in the Middle Ages.
Location: Trikāta, Trikātas pagasts, Beverīnas novads